Food and Consumer Service

Federal Register Link

The Food and Consumer Service (FCS) was originally named the Food and Nutrition Service as established under Reorganization Plan No. 2 of 1953 by the Secretary of Agriculture. The Food and Nutrition Service was abolished by the Secretary’s Memorandum 1010-1 dated Oct. 20, 1994. The functions of which were assumed by Food and Consumer Service. In 1998, the Food and Consumer Service was again renamed the Food and Nutrition Service as per the regulation published in the Federal Register of Feb. 26, 1998 (63 FR 9721). The duties of the Food and Consumer and Food and Nutrition Services as stated in the US Government Manual were to administer programs (Food Stamp Program, Special Nutrition Programs, Food Distribution Programs, Supplemental Food Programs, Commodity Supplemental Food Programs, and Nutrition, Education and Training Programs) to make food assistance available to people who need it. These programs were operated in cooperation with State and local governments.

How to Get in Touch